Home     About     Command List     Rules     Forums     Donate     Maps     Contact Us

New Map

<<

Coffee

Game Master

Post 01 Apr 2015, 12:57 am

New Map

Rolyd.com New Map Information Thread.

Pack your best diamond Armour and bring your best mining gear because rolyd.com is moving to a brand new map launching Sunday the 5th of April!

This is our first map change since the beginning of rolyd.com which launched in April 2011 when we were running Beta 1.5. We've experienced many plugin changes, staff changes and we've had many people come and go whilst relying on our little old map. Our map has now grown to over 24gigs in size, 8500+ unique logins, 25,000+ protected chests/doors and 2200+ regions! This is all from our humble beginnings in Roly's house in South Australia.

Our map has grown so much with many chunks generated before Minecraft 1.0 release with chunk generation changing multiple times since 2011. This has lead to multiple chunk errors, random chunks generating and our map is so large that it cannot be loaded in MCEdit. We sadly have had come to the decision of moving our current player base to a 1.8 generated map to ensure we don't lose our old map forever. The current GM and Moderator team have been hard at work since June 2014 preparing a new map with a brand new Admin shop, a very unique new mall and a brand new spawn!

This new map will be opened on Sunday, 5th of April with a huge party and multiple raffles where mods and GM's will be around to help you transition to the new map.

Information you need to know.
- Buildings won't be moved across to the new world.
- Money will not be reset.
- GM's will gladly move users chests of items over to help you with the transition.
- Old mall shops will be purchased back by Mall Co. in private agreements or can be traded for a new mall shop
- Mall shops will be limited to 1 users for 3 months to ensure all users have a chance at purchasing a shop.
- VIP users will now receive 10% off Mall shops.
- Server shop is ready and buying almost every block
- Server shop now sells passive animal eggs (only 6 types, you can find out which 1's later)
- Server Shop now buys and sells beacons
- Nether will be released 1 week after world map is released.
- Our new map has a farming town where the server will buy produce and meat.
- Our old map will be active for 6 months and then turn to a read only mode where users can explore old buildings.
- We are exploring the option of user built server towns once the new map is more established.
* Information may change without notice

More information will be announced as we reach 5/04/15.

If you have any questions, please post below or contact a GM/Moderator in game.

Thank you and we can't wait to see you on the new map!

- Rolyd.com Team!

Login to remove these ads

<<

Tea

Game Master

Post 01 Apr 2015, 7:07 am

Re: New Map

The staff here have all put a tremendous amount of work in to this map, building in secret for months and months. We really hope the hard work has paid off and that you all enjoy it!

For any player who wishes to have their chests transferred over, please start to move them into a compact area (like a storage unit) so we can easily world edit them over for you.

Cant wait to see everyone on the new map :D
Tea, Admin of Roly's Minecraft Server.
<<

Tathbia

Post 02 Apr 2015, 9:35 am

Wow....

I just spent over $350k on materials and I don't know how many hours to build my guardian farm in survival. I think it's only been operational for about a week.

This was planned since before I joined the server? I like all my builds, I've got no plans to tweak them. I feel like I've just started.

Also I'm sure I'm not the only one going away for Easter and therefor going to be missing whatever celebrations are planned.

Ouch. No, really, OUCH.

No need to reply to me and tell me how decicions are made and these things take time. I also get why you didn't have it public knowledge - no one would do anything and the server would die out. And yes, no one day would suit everyone, it never does.

I really don't like having all that work I've just done reduced to the contents of a few chests.

Tathbia
... and you posted on April 1st.
<<

rolyd90

Game Master

Post 02 Apr 2015, 11:13 am

The reason why we need a new map, is because of how huge its getting and by that slowing everything down, mob spawning, and all sometimes slows down to 15% real time. Due to current CPU load.

There are two ways to fix that, new world or faster hardware* see below.

Currently we are running
Intel Core i5-2500K @ 3.30GHz (Single Thread Performance 1,895 from cpubenchmark.net)
250gb Samsung SSD
16GB ram

I plan to upgrade to
Intel Core i7-4790K @ 4.00GHz (Single Thread Performance 2,533 from cpubenchmark.net)
32GB Ram
Faster SSD *Need to decide on

Why did I list single thread performance instead of multi-threaded performance.
From what I've noticed is the minecraft server does most of its work from a single thread. Only some small tasks is done from other threads.

Now I even if I do upgrade the hardware, in a about a year. Need to do it all again. Just to keep up with the world.

An option is two servers what I've only done some research on so far. but you can link more than one server together to share worlds, but gets very complicated, fast (more so than currently is, from server admin config side)
But its the way big servers manage alot of players, over multiple worlds.

I plan to spend over $1000 on hardware upgrades for current server,
If I build second server about $2000ish extra needed.
ISP Bill currently $159.90 a month (without phone lines rental).
Not sure on electricity usage.. But will work that one out soon.

Was thinking that the approach of the timeline 6 months to a year then lock the world so no new building can be done. And can view it only. Would be the best option, without going multiple server route. People can still get use from stuff for awhile. Will enable sharing inventories between worlds (While not in read only mode).

Let me know if you think I should go two servers, and I can keep the world on one all the other worlds on another server. Otherwise I was thinking the allowing time for people to move might work.

My plans is not to upset people, was thinking slowly moving to another map is the best way forwards.

Also was just a conscience it was posted April 1st. It took us awhile to get our stuff sorted, from my side of things (backend admin). Just trying to get everything working with the new versions of minecraft that has taken my time.
Also we wanted a proper spawn area built before we moved to a new map.
<<

Tathbia

Post 02 Apr 2015, 1:04 pm

I know you have to do things to keep this up and running.

If there is a chance that my farm could be moved over and I don't have to spend ages taking it down and rebuilding, I'd be happy with that.

But I know that if it happens for me, it'll have to happen for everyone else.

It'll be good to keep it as a museum of the past for the server.

Tathbia
<<

meach51

Post 02 Apr 2015, 1:10 pm

Once we move over Tathbia, I'll come help you get set up (and other people too). I know all the staff will join in to help our users, we all want to help.

We have been prohibited from transferring people's builds across, with good reason, we would end up with exactly the same situation if we moved everything.

Also, MC has changed a lot since our old world was established, so this gives us all a chance to use all the new stuff. For my part,I promise to help as much as I (legally) can :)
<<

Dimitri277

Post 13 Apr 2015, 1:49 pm

How will the mods know where the chest to be taken to the new world is?

And how long before the world is deleted?
<<

meach51

Post 13 Apr 2015, 2:50 pm

Hi Dmitri,

Just ask the staff in-game and show them what chests you are moving and where you want to move them to.

The old world will still be there for around 6 months, so no need to panic.

Its a wise move to get over to the new world, explore abound and get yourself a good spot. Pleanty of great land available still, and almost all with great views. Please ask ingame if you need any help finding somewhere.

meach
<<

rolyd90

Game Master

Post 08 May 2015, 11:54 pm

Old_world & Old_world_nether, Official Readonly date: 5/10/15
<<

Melissmala

Post 10 Sep 2015, 7:53 pm

Can you believe this is only 25 days away? And the builds I’ve seen in the new world are looking great! I have some questions and hopes its okay to ask them here.

When we go to read only will things like warps/home still be editable? In the way of removing/deleting/adding/using.

If I find a chest in the old world, I assume I won’t be able to open it (that’s why we moved all our stuff to the new world) but will a staff member be able to open it? And will a GM be able to copy to the new world (this is more about curiosity).

Will the old world be an active world with a massive protection? Or will it be like a painting we can walk in?

What will happen to signs (iBuy and iSell) in the old world?

And a question about the new world, when will FarmTown be open/active and will it have its own warp?
Next

Return to Server Information