Home     About     Command List     Rules     Forums     Donate     Maps     Contact Us

IMPORTANT - Mojang's New EULA. Help save Minecraft!

<<

NaomiTim

Post 06 Jun 2014, 2:44 pm

IMPORTANT - Mojang's New EULA. Help save Minecraft!

This was written by a friend of mine, so I shall not take credit for writing all this xD
This is also the reason why Authentication services are down. Apparently a hacker has hacked mojang and stopped all Authentication services.

Hey guys. I have a very important announcement to make. Recently, Mojang have announced compulsory changes to their terms of service that will effect every single one of us.

The following actions will become a violation of Mojang's terms or service, thus no longer being allowed.

1. Generating revenue by selling in-game items.
2. Generating revenue by selling in-game permissions.
3. Generating revenue by selling plugins.
4. Generating revenue by selling mods.
5. Generating revenue by selling themes.
6. Generating revenue by means of youtube.

What this means is that donation packages will no longer be allowed. Due to this, almost every single public server will not be able to cope. Servers thrive off of donations to stay running and add updates, without them there is no way to afford to keep the server running. We are not alone in this, as almost every Minecraft server, large and small, are in the same boat.

No donations = No server.

Another rule they are introducing is preventing people from making money off of YouTube content based off of Minecraft. As many YouTubers use their videos as their only source of income, there will be a serious decline in Minecraft YouTube content.

We cannot let this happen, hundreds of YouTubers and Server Owners will be out of a job and public servers will not be able to exist. Mojang are destroying Minecraft and it's community with these new TOS. Without the servers and YouTubers, Minecraft would not be as big as it is today. Take those away and Minecraft will die.

Now, there is a petition going to STOP these horrendous rules from going through and I urge every single one of you to sign it for the greater good. I cannot stress how important it is that these changes do not happen. Put a stop to this nonsense and help us save Minecraft!​

Sign the petition TODAY:

http://www.change.org/petitions/mojang-change-the-eula

Login to remove these ads

<<

crusty_krow

Post 06 Jun 2014, 8:26 pm

Re: IMPORTANT - Mojang's New EULA. Help save Minecraft!

my opinions and information that i have found:

1)
6. Generating revenue by means of youtube.

after what notch has said in the past i do not believe that youtube review will be affected.

2)
What this means is that donation packages will no longer be allowed. Due to this, almost every single public server will not be able to cope.

plain server donations should not be affected from what @mark_irl has said, also a server should never rely on donations to run, donations are great and all but on some servers the whole idea of donations have gotten out of hand and imo can destroy a server.

3)with this
3. Generating revenue by selling plugins.
4. Generating revenue by selling mods.
only scumbag ******** developers do this, selling mods and plugins... worst of the worst :moderator:

4) from what i can tell this is what everyone is getting mad over.
1. Generating revenue by selling in-game items.
2. Generating revenue by selling in-game permissions.

tl;dr bunch of money hungry badmins getting mad a mojang over something pretty reasonable and i can't make engrish well
Image Image
<<

dale00474

Game Master

Post 07 Jun 2014, 9:11 am

You know...

They actually can't stop you from taking donations to fund server host costs. The model is set up to host and charge for it. Then the end user pays the host and bam. Online game. Profit can be an issue with Mojang. However, I doubt donations without profit to find online server costs could ever hold up. Thing is Rolyd.com has made it very clear we are not selling you donation packs. You donate the money and we reward you with a virtual good for your kindness. Other than it personal entertainment value, that reward has absolutely no tangible value in markets other than the virtual game. I'm pretty sure we're safe. Mojang could stop loads of things. Such as making money off videos created using their intellectual property. It just doesn't seem they would be able to stop everything.
-Dale :moderator:In-game admin/GM

Refuge: n. That which shelters or protects from danger or from distress or calamity; a stronghold which protects by its strength or a sanctuary which secures safety by its sacredness; a place inaccessible to an enemy.
<<

Genera1007

Post 07 Jun 2014, 8:57 pm

The whole thing is a storm in a teacup. The community over reacted. And mojang got DOS'ed from the more extreme in the community.

The EULA on this is a grey area, and could apply to prohibits sale of items for minecraft. mojang have not enforced it, and they can't go back. There will be some middle ground found.
<<

dale00474

Game Master

Post 08 Jun 2014, 9:43 am

OMG my phone does not like my posts (5 spelling errors already in this post alone.) my above post makes me sad.
-Dale :moderator:In-game admin/GM

Refuge: n. That which shelters or protects from danger or from distress or calamity; a stronghold which protects by its strength or a sanctuary which secures safety by its sacredness; a place inaccessible to an enemy.
<<

Rydero1

Post 08 Jun 2014, 11:05 pm

Hi Everyone

I found a video that covers some good points about this EULA

thought I'd share the link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnSx_Zk8A7o

Return to General Discussion