Home     About     Command List     Rules     Forums     Donate     Maps     Contact Us

Mac V Windows V Linux.

Mac V Windows V Linux.

Mac
32%
Windows
53%
Linux
16%

Total votes : 19
<<

dale00474

Game Master

Post 24 Jul 2012, 8:19 pm

Re: Mac V Windows V Linux.

Dark…sorry to tell you mate. A Mac book pro does benchmark better than a windows based PC with the exact same specs strait out of the box. Just because some people thinks they are great because they are shiny doesn't have anything to do with Apple's current marketing strategy of trying to pass off an inferior machine with nice looks. However, looks do mean alot. Apple plays to this on top of good performance and it pays off for them to the point where they are starting to surpass Windows on sales and revenue. I have yet to see a capable PC at a cost of 200$. Also, name a single laptop with a graphics card and the same stats as a MacBookPro for a rediculously lower price than Apple. It may be a difference of a couple hundred but that is hardly overcharging. You think Windows is original? Oh mate how I am going to blow this apart.

OS/2 a joint OS by Microsoft and IBM based on DOS. DOS was a successor of IBM PC DOS. IBM not microsoft developed DOS. DOS was then brought to Microsoft by IBM to create OS/2 which then the collaboration was screwed by Microsoft. Microsoft began development of Windows 3.0 and began marketing it on new PCs. 3.0 was based and is nearly identical to OS/2. Essentially IBM made some bad suggestions but Microsoft essentially stole the OS and its DOS functionality in order to create the first open marketed Windows version. From there Windows had issue with DOS…(something they essentially stole via the collaboration) and later dropped its handling of Windows in the Operating System / Operating Environment. See at that time Windows was technically an OE while DOS was the OS (Both of course ripped off from IBM.) From there Microsoft branched out to mess with the Windows X.X systems before creating the year system starting with Windows 95 which in itself was full of bugs and other serious issues.

Dark if you'd like I can gladly provide you with some benchmarking stats. Sadly though if you'd like to discuss Windows history and compare it I'm afraid that unless you do some good research mate as you've said before I was around to see it all. I actually used OS/2 and Windows 3.1. I remember when games were written only for DOS. You used to have to actually boot a computer into DOS just to run some of them b/c of the way windows functioned back then.

:lai75: :lai04:
-Dale :moderator:In-game admin/GM

Refuge: n. That which shelters or protects from danger or from distress or calamity; a stronghold which protects by its strength or a sanctuary which secures safety by its sacredness; a place inaccessible to an enemy.

Login to remove these ads

<<

crusty_krow

Post 24 Jul 2012, 9:40 pm

what fps can your $5000 mac run battlefield 3 at? oh wait ...... macs do not support DirectX >:D
Image Image
<<

dale00474

Game Master

Post 24 Jul 2012, 9:59 pm

Never paid 5000 for any computer ever. Not sure where Dark gets his figures from. Only custom top of the line mac computers cost that much. Also, keep in mind each OS is good for things. We've gone over that. However, my Mac is 4 years old and under Windows it runs BF3 on all the highest settings just fine. You know…I think its interesting how many things we've discussed and how many of those points I've made that were completely ignored. The same thing about running games and two or three other points are the base for the whole argument. Next thing Crusty will bring up Java. Oh wait thats right Windows is in the process of dumping Java as well. Personally I believe it is a very stupid move for any of them but I find it funny Microsoft is following Apple on that and developing their own platform.

The interesting thing…

Microsoft writes software THATS it. They are not a computer manufacturer. Apple does both. However, we nit pick and claim the computer is terrible b/c the OS hasn't had a program written for it (BF3.) Is that Apple's fault? Not really. Microsoft has held the market for the past 20 years. Now that Apple is quickly moving to pass Microsoft as a software developer it may be funny to see the market swing with the trends. We've already seen a huge boom over android in phone apps with the iPhones which may continue to grow. However, if we want to compare the Mac…mine has no trouble running anything. I can run any OS I wish. Your PC on the other hand has many limitations with this. So as for your question Crusty…yeah I can run BF3 just fine mate.

Hey Dark this is strait from the Dell website…

"Though the warranty won't cover the replacement parts (nor any damage done in upgrading), the rest of the system remains under warranty.
These are customer-replaceable parts. Upgrading them doesn't affect the system warranty.
There ARE parts you can't upgrade without a warranty loss- screen, CPU, video card - but the hard drive and RAM don't count."

HP also has a similar policy as well. So lets see…I can upgrade the ram…yeah Apple lets you do this on its computers. The Hard Drive? Apple will help you with the install and even software once it is done…FOR FREE. None of the others do this. Oh yeah…also…HP, Dell, Sony, Toshiba they offer no support for your windows installation if you choose to replace the Hard Drive. Given it is an OEM copy and most often installed on a HDD on a 2nd partition guess what…neither will Microsoft. Apple on the other hand has no issues with any of that. If you'd like to continue trying to debate the warranty issue I'll be glad to look the links up for you.

About minecraft…I've installed several mods for mine. All but one installed EXACTLY like windows. Not sure what problems your buddy has. I can't understand why OSx would have anything to do with a minecraft mod when nearly all the mods install exactly the same way as they do on windows. As a matter of fact on my install I have a mod installer package (also written for windows for dummies. I'm too lazy but I guess those who have too much of a problem can use it as well. You simply download the mod and open the installer. Then just click your mob and click the MOD button. All done. As I said they also made this for windows.

Refuge: n. That which shelters or protects from danger or from distress or calamity; a stronghold which protects by its strength or a sanctuary which secures safety by its sacredness; a place inaccessible to an enemy.
<<

darkrai202

Post 24 Jul 2012, 10:31 pm

This arguments going nowhere, I prefer Windows and you prefer Macs. We could both go on about this for a long time, but it's really pissing me off how much of my time I've wasted contributing to this endless argument. I'm keen to see the future, how they will change. IMO Apple will go downhill since Steve Jobs died.

Windows will win ;D
<<

dale00474

Game Master

Post 25 Jul 2012, 12:37 am

I never said I perfer macs. I have only argued against your points of originality and my point above with os/2 and so forth. They each have good points and I could go on and on about both of them. In all reality if left to these three...I'd have to say linux. On so many levels I am so much more of a fan of whats been done free and by users like any of us. :)

<<

crusty_krow

Post 25 Jul 2012, 4:07 pm

dale just likes to argue :P
Image Image
<<

dale00474

Game Master

Post 25 Jul 2012, 8:25 pm

I like to argue? Mate if someone goes about spouting incorrect info about a topic that you're involved with aren't you going to say something? I mean come on. Some of it is opinion, true, but some of it is so badly misinformed. Just like the whole Windows is original and such. I bring up a fact about the development of windows and I am labeled as liking to argue? pfft. I would never expect Dark to know about that mostly due to his age and in all reality unless you either wasn't around to see it or couldn't care less to read up on it out of the blue you'd never know about it.

*Liked this topic more with pics…*

:text-worthless: :text-worthless: :text-worthless: :text-worthless: :text-worthless: :obscene-moneypiss:

<<

darkrai202

Post 25 Jul 2012, 9:41 pm

dale00474 wrote:would never expect Dark to know about that mostly due to his age

So I did good ;D? Lol
<<

dale00474

Game Master

Post 25 Jul 2012, 10:33 pm

*thinks Dark needs to make a darkrai202 transformer statue and name it Darkimus Prime. =D

<<

darkrai202

Post 25 Jul 2012, 10:39 pm

dale00474 wrote:*thinks Dark needs to make a darkrai202 transformer statue and name it Darkimus Prime. =D

Will do, it will be made of the crushed and ruined macs I destroy.

I'm so mean :(

Also dale, on another server my nickname is "darkimusprime" :D
PreviousNext

Return to Community Area