Home     About     Command List     Rules     Forums     Donate     Maps     Contact Us

When Good Spleef Goes Bad

<<

dale00474

Game Master

Post 28 Jan 2016, 10:26 am

When Good Spleef Goes Bad

Ok...so Spleef. A game where you get to knock blocks out from under your opponent to eliminate them. It is a very fun game. One which is about to release. But not all Spleef's are made equal. Sometime...DUN DUN DUN! (Insert dramatic music here) They go bad. They turn evil.

So some think "Oh cool! You're an admin," or some shit. But one interesting thing about building for a server or any game for that matter is the list of bug you encounter and sometime need to fix. Players can get stuck. Players can even die because of bugs. Setting up new additions to a server such as places, plugins, etc. can be very rewarding. Sometimes it turns bad. Things may not work right. So many times for instance, Roly has had to work out issues with the server hardware or plugins.

But what is up with the title of this post? I'll explain. So there I was happy with an area for our new PvP server. Spleef. Checking out a build with an experimental new plug in. I was all like, "Oh cool. Roly found an interesting one. Lets test this thing." Well there I was casually walking around, riding pigs, Killing a mob that wondered in (An oversight/bug I hadn't found yet in protection) when I figured yep lets see what this is all about. So I started a game. Not sure how the hell I did it....but I was like "oh cool. I can see how this plugin works." So I find myself in the arena. Hmmm...I can't break the floor. This kinda defeats the point of Spleef but oh well. Maybe its not fully set up properly. I appear to be in creative mode. But what the heck? I can't break any blocks at all to get out. hmmm...ok lets try to trusty compass (A tool we use to teleport through blocks.) That doesn't work either. Ok...no breaking blocks. No compass. Creative? HA! Nope...ok lets warp out of here...nope that doesn't work either. Spawn? Nope. Ummm.../hub? Nope. I know lets ask another GM or MOD for help. Hmmm...chat doesn't work. World edit my way out. Hmmm...my world edit tool isn't working.

...Shit...

Now what? Lets block glitch our way out. Damn it. So 5 minutes later I finally manage to block glitch my way out through the floor of my newly found Spleef prison. Guess what happens? I am instantly shoved back into the arena. OMG! So lets try this again. It works within seconds but once again I am pulled by this unseen force back. So after 10 minutes I finally manage to glitch my way out and with a speed even light itself would be proud of, manage to warp myself away before this invisible hand says, "Oh no you don't."

So like many of my posts this is crazy big. Or will be lol. Rather than start another post I'll add this to this post as it seems appropriate. Over the years we have ran into many glitches playing with the limitations of the server or as simple mistakes which brought things to a screeching hault. Here is a list of my most memorable times when we crashed the server, found ourselves stuck or really messed things up trying to test things, build things or otherwise help players out.

1. The Dawzie saplings. So drop an item what happens? It bounces. Once Dawzie was building he accidentally spawned over 800,000 saplings than regular blocks. The result was the first major crash of the server. It resulted in a fair bit of down time while Roly cleaned up the mess. It was pretty funny watching all those saplings bounce when they hit the ground. haha.

2. The edge of the world. So I found that if you go to near the edge of the map you fall through blocks, flames on torches sit to the side of torches. Well, LeftSpineDwn figured he'd push the limits and teleport further. The result, he was kicked and immediately kicked upon return. The fix was remoting directly to Roly's server and deleting his player file. What a mess.

3. The Itemstay incident. So Coffee (Getvegan at the time) built an awesomely HUGE mall at spawn. Many people wanted a plugin called item stay. But what we didn't know was how much lag this plugin would cause. The result, once you entered mall minecraft slowed to a crawl. Chunk errors galore and major lag for everyone. WOO!

4. Spawning the new enderdragon without reading about him first. So massive chaos ensued when Icersau and I spawned an enderdragon at Atlantis spawn without knowing the carnage he would cause to blocks. An hour long repair job and major stress was the result. Not only did he manage to destroy lots of the spawn but we killed him directly over the hedge maze where his egg and portal would spawn. Massive damage and issues trying to figure out how to put it all back together.

5. Moving shit. How many blocks can you move at one time? Who knows?? Sometimes its 100,000 and others a million. No one crashes the server more than a staff member trying to be helpful by moving crap. This has happened far more times than you think. Thankfully now-a-days the server will recover on its own. But Roly has gotten many calls, "Hey Roly, sorry man but I crashed the server."

6. Accidently setting a warp point over void earth. Yeah, so I have done this. "Oh hey random MOD or GM in a different world come check this out." Of course I forget I am in the middle of doing something and they won't have fly when they teleport. "(insert name here) has fallen into the void." Opps.

Anyone have any other funny stories to tell about when you witnessed or was a part of an interesting event like those above? Please tell. XD :via09:
-Dale :moderator:In-game admin/GM

Refuge: n. That which shelters or protects from danger or from distress or calamity; a stronghold which protects by its strength or a sanctuary which secures safety by its sacredness; a place inaccessible to an enemy.

Login to remove these ads

<<

Tea

Game Master

Post 06 Mar 2016, 8:45 am

Re: When Good Spleef Goes Bad

Let us not forgot the time oddworld_chris tried to innocently extinguish fire that was causing damage to something, didn't know the command to put the fire out so decided to type /stop fire.. Of course instantly stopping the server kicking everyone with the reason being "fire". I remember being online at the time and being so confused hahaha.

Or the time I was fairly new to world edit, and was trying to Christmas-afy spawn and world edited a huge Santa-ghast sleigh UNDERNEATH spawn which meant it cut out the underground admin shop and lots else... So players were falling into the void. Server had to be rolled back 8 hours I think..oh no :dhappytired:

The time xzarahsx tried to world edit, but stuffed the points up and accidentally selected point 1 one place, and point 2 across the other side of the whole world and //cut out the entire world. :lai19:
Tea, Admin of Roly's Minecraft Server.
<<

Tea

Game Master

Post 08 Mar 2016, 1:38 pm

Re: When Good Spleef Goes Bad

Seemed to have written a post than didn't post! Oops!

Re post:
Sorry to anyone who had to read a very salty post that has since been deleted!
Remember to ignore those people who are obsessed with bringing you down. Remember their life must be not very good to be putting down or jealous of yours, and it's never your fault.
We only want positivity here! :)
Téa's little inspirational quote of the day :p
Thanks guys :lai19:

Back to the funny posts
Tea, Admin of Roly's Minecraft Server.

Return to Community Area