Home     About     Command List     Rules     Forums     Donate     Maps     Contact Us

Game creation idea...gimmie some thoughts!

<<

dale00474

Game Master

Post 11 May 2015, 12:44 pm

Game creation idea...gimmie some thoughts!

I want to pick the brains of our community. Over the last 2 years I have been involved with an online game and their development team. It has had me thinking for some time...why not give it a go developing my own game? After careful consideration I have now left behind my role. We released a major update which I was a part of and since its release I have been pleased to find the community adopted it well. After helping with any bugs and after-release support I take a step away to move forward with my own goals.

Sorry, this might be a long post. I am trying to keep it short. I want to get out as much detail as possible about my plans and reach out to an awesome community which I know and trust to give some valuable feedback. =)

I am currently looking to begin a Kickstarter project for the development of a game. I am going to start off simple. How many have ever played a platformer? They are traditional and when done right, loads of fun. At the moment I am using developer software from YOYOGAMES. I have looked into LEADWERKS and a few others including the CryEngine. The plan is to get the platformer design concepts and basic start-finish storyboard complete, create a developer video for Kickstarter, finalize expected expenses and place the Beta on Steam Greenlight.

The nitty gritty...

Game
Desc.- 2-d platformer, side scrolling
Multiple themed maps (7-10) containing 10-20 boards
Each board consists of approx 5-10 min of play time.
Total game time = approx 20-30 hours depending on player skill.

Approx time to Alpha = 6-12 months
Approx time to Beta = 12-18 months
Approx time to final release = 18-24 months

Ideas for Kickstarter Backer rewards-
-Special Edition - Play as many different characters from the game
-Access to Final release for all Backers
-Access to Beta version for certain backers
-Become an Alpha tester for certain backers
-Limited Edition Shirt
-Digital Download of concept and development art
-Special thanks in the credits
-Name a character
-Choose a map theme (Must fit in with the game ideology.)

I have other ideas for future games. One of which I was actually working on this morning. =D I am still learning much about the development of games with relation to coding. I have created a game before using Zelda Classic software. For those interested and who love Zelda I highly recommend having a look at their site. You can create games or download created games and play them. Its a great place for all things Zelda.

Another idea I am tossing around is a car crash game. This one involves heavy use of physics and would be a 3-D game using an engine like Cryengine. For anyone who has ever played Burnout 3 crash mode you'd understand the idea. This is what I was working on this morning. I'm still trying to wrap my head around the physics and coding. If I get it right this would most likely be the game that would go on Kickstarter.

Thoughts?

Any artists out there experienced with computer generated art design? Anyone with skills related to coding especially with engine physics?

Any suggestions or thoughts on any of the ideas?
-Dale :moderator:In-game admin/GM

Refuge: n. That which shelters or protects from danger or from distress or calamity; a stronghold which protects by its strength or a sanctuary which secures safety by its sacredness; a place inaccessible to an enemy.

Login to remove these ads

<<

rmc10

Game Master

Post 11 May 2015, 5:08 pm

Re: Game creation idea...gimmie some thoughts!

Love the idea of a car crash game Dale, that was the best bit of burnout 3,they really stuffed it up after that one.
2D platform game sounds a bit old school but I guess if done right could be really fun.
I'm useless at coding and digital design but I have a mate who is pretty good (o11y_75) and lives hear in Adelaide now so I will show him your post.
Good luck with the new venture.
<<

Coffee

Game Master

Post 14 May 2015, 9:21 pm

car crash game sounds wicked.

Talk to shiny, he's been playing with making his own game and I'm guessing if you two could work something out / have a chat about it.

would definitely back a car crash game.
<<

dale00474

Game Master

Post 01 Jun 2015, 2:17 pm

Physics is a pain in the @$$. A cra crash game will be in the works. However, its not going to be my first focus. That being said...

I have decided on my direction. For years I have been working on a story based upon role play characters I have had in many MMO's. That story has grown immensely. It is also something very close to me which I know from start to finish...well maybe not finish as the story continues past where most would think it ends.

The Temple of the Gods has been my little piece in Roly's Minecraft server of that story. For the first time I was truly able to recreate a location as I saw it. Still it has room to grow and it will in time.

I have chosen the Unreal game engine for this as they offer everything I need. I have been in contact with them and pitched my idea to which they have requested in game footage and concept art. Pending their approval, I would get access to funding. Currently, they have allocated 5 million in 5-50k grants to devs. Coupled with Kickstarter I reckon this could push this idea into reality.

The idea is to create an Action RPG with a linear story line. I can't publicly delve into the storyline as it is the basis for the entire game. However, what I will say is this is going to be an immense undertaking. The closest I can describe the type of game play would be Skyrim. My ultimate plan involves a few sequels and even a prequel which will all combine to give the story definition. So am I pulling a George Lucas here? No way! The primary story is the first released episode. Why will people want to play the prequel? Why did people go see Star Wars E.1? The backstory! It adds a whole new layer to the cake. Why the sequels? It gives closure. The important part is connection at just the right time. The important part (Sorry George) is not to make it up as I go along to try to tie things together. We all see how well that worked in Star Wars...sorry George.

What does Dale need to make this happen?

Well, I have development experience in the realm of MMO's. Working alongside professionals I have learned a great deal over the years. I want this to shine through.

I am no artist. This is the bad thing. I can build a great many things with a game engine and code things the way I want them. The artist thing is just not my forte'. I am looking for artists. For the moment my plan is to begin building an awesome pitch trailer with elements I have at my disposal. Once funding is secured I want to hire some artists. I will release details later on the format. However, below I have included a list for anyone who may have this talent.

Theme- Medieval artistic style
Format- Computer drawn graphics. (Exact applications available will be released later)
Style- Realistic with an emphasis on being practical and not so photorealistic. Time lines will be a factor and thus photorealism will be only ever used for marketing purposes.
Hardware needed- any basic gaming computer with the capability to render realistic animations (ie; an i3, 660 Nvidia, 8 GB ram.)
Communication- Via Teamviewer and TeamSpeak.
Must own a basic headset to use with the above
Design team will be selected based on concept art. Concept art requests will be released at a later time.

Should funding be acquired for this project I will be providing my entire design and development team with the same 1080p true color monitors for consistency for use on the project. Pending the financial requirements and funding available the possibility of dedicated hardware purchased for the team may be a reality. All members of the design and development team will be paid for their work and have full credit for all work on the project. We will draft a contract which will detail all of this once work commences. I will also be obtaining an ABN for this project and registering with the ATO.

If anyone has any question or would like to discuss this project further please contact me on the email below.

phantomtigerinteractive@ohnclan.org

EDIT: The design team does not consist solely of those artists able to create beautiful drawings. I must also look at animators. Don't let this draw (haha pun is intended) you back from expressing interest. Making the move from artist to animator can be easy or difficult depending on the person. However, I will need those capable of producing tons of graphics which are not all animated. Even still, the best animator works with those who can draw just as well if not better.
-Dale :moderator:In-game admin/GM

Refuge: n. That which shelters or protects from danger or from distress or calamity; a stronghold which protects by its strength or a sanctuary which secures safety by its sacredness; a place inaccessible to an enemy.
<<

Coffee

Game Master

Post 02 Jun 2015, 4:22 am

mostly posting so i don't forget.

why haven't you tried to greenlight idea when you've got concept / game working in some capacity?

you could also look at government funding through arts programs if government hasnt slashed that to shit. the victorian government gives cash to pax aus / game studios so its something you can look into.
<<

shinyclef

Post 13 Jun 2015, 8:09 pm

Best of luck! Game dev is not exactly easy, but it's definitely rewarding if you stick with it long enough. One piece of feedback I would give though is to consider Unity3D if you haven't already done so. I'm sure you've done your engine research though.

Will be good to see your progress as the months go by.

Return to Community Area