Home     About     Command List     Rules     Forums     Donate     Maps     Contact Us

Tried to build my computer...

<<

xzarahsx

Post 26 Nov 2013, 10:57 pm

Re: Tried to build my computer...

I also have 2 fans to my case, one at the front for the hard drive and one at the back near the motherboard, the hard drive one is going but not the back one, it can only be one or the other as there are no cords for it. Should the other fan be going? Sorry for confusing
A.A. Milne
“Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.”
― A.A. Milne

Login to remove these ads

<<

shinyclef

Post 27 Nov 2013, 2:52 pm

lol zar. I'd give you a call now and come over but I don't know how to contact you :P
<<

xzarahsx

Post 27 Nov 2013, 6:42 pm

Aren't you in the city Shiny? Would be a bit of a drive lol :P
A.A. Milne
“Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.”
― A.A. Milne
<<

Mingjetan

Post 27 Nov 2013, 7:04 pm

Where do you live anyways??
Need some building tips? Just message me in game! I'll be more than happy to help :)

<<

xzarahsx

Post 27 Nov 2013, 8:39 pm

Latrobe valley :)

(Crime valley)
A.A. Milne
― A.A. Milne
<<

shinyclef

Post 28 Nov 2013, 1:01 pm

oh jeeze, yeah, ah, forget about that haha. That's more than joy ride ey lol.
<<

xzarahsx

Post 29 Nov 2013, 2:18 pm

Hahahaha yes yes it would shiny :P Sarah's mum came and picked it up yesterday arvo.. Hopefully can be fixed lol at least it's out of my house!
A.A. Milne
― A.A. Milne
<<

xzarahsx

Post 30 Dec 2013, 8:20 pm

Just an update, had mrsricochets brother Inlaw have a look at it and he thinks one of the RAM sticks are faulty.. So had that sent back to PCC before Christmas by express. Hopefully hear something back the end of this week :)
A.A. Milne
― A.A. Milne
<<

dale00474

Game Master

Post 31 Dec 2013, 1:04 am

In the future it will save you heaps of time to run memtest86 on your computer. It will run an intensive read/write cycle to the ram and look at each block of memory. If you have any issues it will find it. It is -very- unlikely to have more than one bad stick. Normally the best thing to do is remove all the ram and insert one chip at a time. At no point do you want more than one chip installed at one time. Cycling through each chip on its own will help you to quickly diagnose the issue. It would also be beneficial to run the memtest86 like this. That allows memtest86 to better run its course on the chips.

2 imortant things though...

Ensure your ram frequency ie; 1666 and so forth, is higher or equal to the North Bridge (NB) of the Mother Board. That is the native clock speed for ram, processor, etc. Slower ram than the NB clock speed can cause serious issues with stability. FYI, fast ram frequencies don't usually cause an issue. However, if the NB is say 1666 and you have 2400 ram, it is not possible for the ram to operate faster than the NB speed. So you waste money. Also, ram designed to operate at 2400 is most efficient at 2400 clock. Dumping down the clock speed makes it less efficient (maybe not much but can cause stability issues.)

Another, check out these awesome pics...
https://www.google.com/search?q=cat+on+ ... 8&bih=1018
-Dale :moderator:In-game admin/GM

Refuge: n. That which shelters or protects from danger or from distress or calamity; a stronghold which protects by its strength or a sanctuary which secures safety by its sacredness; a place inaccessible to an enemy.
<<

xzarahsx

Post 31 Dec 2013, 9:45 am

Thankyou dale :) but my computer wouldn't stay on long enough to do any of the kind, it would just blue screen. I'm not getting any hopes up, if this doesn't work next step is to fork out money and drive the whole darn thing back there! Lol
But thankyou for sharing for future problems :) I will definitely keep it in mind. :)
A.A. Milne
― A.A. Milne
PreviousNext

Return to Community Area