Post 29 May 2013, 5:26 pm

How to Mine on Minecraft

Strip Mining

STEP 1:
Try strip mining. Strip mining is another widely used method, though it doesn't yield as many diamonds and other ores, it yields heaps of cobblestone for construction, and creates a nice empty space for your use.
STEP 2:
Dig down until you are below Y: 16.
STEP 3:
Determine how many blocks you want to dig in each direction, lets say for the sake of this tutorial you want to dig a 10x10 box, that is 3 blocks high.
STEP 4:
Dig out the guidelines of your box, and make sure to light it up with torches.
STEP 5:
Dig out the remaining area and store it in your inventory or a chest, though this make take several chests worth of storage.
STEP 6:
Start a new mine, and repeat!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Branch Mining
STEP 1:
Consider branch mining. Branch mining is perhaps the most prolific mining method, and has a high diamond yield.
STEP 2:
Dig down until the Y coordinate equals 12.
= It is recommended to to make a staircase or make a 1x2 hole to avoid falling into lava
pools or other hazards.
= You can check your Y coordinate by pressing F3.
= Any Y between 0 and 16 will contain diamonds, but lava is more prominent below Y: 11. Lava
lakes occur at 10, so you will be level with the lava, giving you a good chance to get out if you
run into some.
STEP 3:
Dig a 2x2 or 1x2 tunnel for as far as you feel necessary (recommended around 20 blocks long)
STEP 4:
Dig a 2x1x1 hole every 2 blocks to mark where your later tunnels are.
STEP 5:
Mine in a straight line along the indention made previously, for as long as you feel necessary. You should find quite a few ores, if not always diamond.