Home     About     Command List     Rules     Forums     Donate     Maps     Contact Us

My step son's build I just finished

<<

dale00474

Game Master

Post 04 Dec 2012, 8:00 pm

My step son's build I just finished

Just finished my Step Son's gaming rig last week. Been waiting to post the pics and saw Zarah's post so figured I'd go ahead...

Specs...

Intel Core i7 3770 4-Core 3rd Gen Processor
Antec KUHLER H2O 620 High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler
ASUS Sabertooth Z77 Motherboard
Dual Western Digital Black 2TB drives for storage
Samsung 128 SSD for OS and software
Thermaltake ToughPower XT 875W Power Supply
G.Skill Sniper 16GB Memory (F3-12800CL9Q-16GBSR1)
Fractal Case
High flow front fans replacing stock HHD fans
Wireless N Card
EVGA GeForce GTX 660 Ti Video Card (Will be dual SLI when he can afford the 2nd card.)
LG DVD-RW drive
Win 7 Ultimate

Win Score = 7.8
Boot time (from power button press to CPU idle in windows) = 12 sec.

-Dale :moderator:In-game admin/GM

Refuge: n. That which shelters or protects from danger or from distress or calamity; a stronghold which protects by its strength or a sanctuary which secures safety by its sacredness; a place inaccessible to an enemy.

Login to remove these ads

<<

dale00474

Game Master

Post 04 Dec 2012, 8:02 pm

Re: My step son's build I just finished

OMG sorry for the huge pics...resizing now...lol

EDIT: reduced all images by 50% they are still huge but much better than before. Also this wasn't the 100% finished product. I still hadn't finished running all the cables where I wanted them. This just just with cables ran for an initial test. When it was finished all the cables were arranged and hidden pretty well behind the motherboard panel. =D I like clean wiring. =)

Refuge: n. That which shelters or protects from danger or from distress or calamity; a stronghold which protects by its strength or a sanctuary which secures safety by its sacredness; a place inaccessible to an enemy.
<<

xzarahsx

Post 05 Dec 2012, 5:37 pm

Looks great considering I've only seen a couple of computers, gotta show the bf this.
As for static electricity do you use a anti static cable(?) or just a metal surface to touch?
I don't know much about this but the bf has been watching videos etc, would rather him pay the extra and get it built by a professional but he's not accepting that so would just a metal surface to touch get rid of static or would we be need to buy a anti static cable? I want to go the cable but of course fighting with that aswell.
With the static cable what does it need to be attatched to? Just a leg of a chair or does it have to be metal aswell?
A.A. Milne
“Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.”
― A.A. Milne
<<

rolyd90

Game Master

Post 05 Dec 2012, 6:27 pm

I like. To me right now that looks like the ideal gaming rig (at the moment, would it be possible if you do end up installing another 660 in SLI a fps test? just curious)
Also im putting that cpu cooler on my christmas wish list... before I send it off to santa.

xzarahsx wrote:As for static electricity do you use a anti static cable(?) or just a metal surface to touch?
I've never had problems with static electricity *yet*... and well new builds, built on the kitchen table, but I've built my fair share on the carpet :D
Also if your power supply has a switch, turn it to off, plug it in and then touch the case, you will be grounded. Since when the case is plugged in, it should be grounded. (I think I'm correct here, please someone correct me if I'm wrong)

xzarahsx wrote:would rather him pay the extra and get it built by a professional
Aslong as its not msy lol. I'd say do it yourself, get the parts, read the motherboard manual (at least a look over), and put it together (eg. some computer shops will just throw everything in, cables everywhere. if you build it yourself can make everything nice and neat. *I used zip ties all the time) then its just installing the OS and drivers. If he can do that, he can build a computer :P
<<

xzarahsx

Post 05 Dec 2012, 6:39 pm

Thankyou Roly :)
A.A. Milne
“Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.”
― A.A. Milne
<<

dale00474

Game Master

Post 05 Dec 2012, 7:11 pm

I agree with Roly on static. I've also built on carpet. Thing is unless you touch the metal contacts or soldier points on the bottom on circuit boards you don't have as much to worry about. Its never a good idea to do it anyways. I've never plugged a desktop in and never had an issue but Roly has a good point there. I would only do this if my power supply has a switch to switch it off. If it does not once it is plugged in it is supplying power to the motherboard.

MSY...never get them to build a computer. They are a joke.

The most important thing when building a computer. Make sure the parts are compatible. Also, I've seen so many people dump a huge amount into a bunch of ram and ten make a mistake of putting 32 bit windows on it. Windows 32 bit can only see 3.5GB of ram. Video memory such as a graphics card is figured into this. So if you have 2 GB of ram and 2GB in video cards your computer will only use 3.5GB of it. Windows 32 bit is found as an option just like 64bit. The end user will not really notice a difference. However, the way they address memory is different. Their are also a few other differences but we won't go into that here. Depending on who did the install (yourself, another person or even a manufacturer.) will determine what bit of windows you have. You have to find out through "My Computer" and right clicking to go into the computer properties. If you can get ahold of 64 bit...that is always the way to go. This is just one mistake. Another is often times people won't consider parts and their speeds. Lets say you have a motherboard that has a ram bus speed of 1600. You purchase ram that is 2600. Your ram must then run at 1600. So you've just wasted your money. Not only this but that ram has been designed to run at the speed it was designed for. By slowing it down it isn't running as efficiently. So getting the most compatible parts is best. I'd always ask friends who you are certain know about the topic if I was unsure before buying parts. The best thing i've seen is most people believe all i7 processors are better than the rest. i5's are in the middle and i3 are slow. The architecture behind the cores and firmware makes all the difference. Actually this week a new i5 is supposed to be released that is faster than anything on the market. Currently it is an i7 but just a few years ago the best on the market was an i3...and it trumpted everything on the market...lol.

The actual act of building a computer is -very- easy. Its the stuff mentioned above that can make it difficult for most to get the best value for your money.

<<

xzarahsx

Post 06 Dec 2012, 4:00 am

Thankyou, Jake already knows all of this, I'm just stressing of spending over a grand on a computer that he's just going to fuck up.
Can just imagine how angry I would be, he wants to build his computer, I understand that completely but if it's going to be as expensive as I'm thinking I gotta say... f%$k that!!!
He understand compatabilities etc, had wanted his computer for 2 years now so trying to make his wish come true I guess... :)

Best girlfriend in the world? I think so..I mean with over a grand I could stock my wardrobe..
A.A. Milne
― A.A. Milne
<<

dale00474

Game Master

Post 06 Dec 2012, 7:43 am

Completely understandable. Honestly though I would stress to him the important things. =) Not to mention the next series of Icore's are coming out. So i'd wait a bit and see what happens with price etc.

<<

darkrai202

Post 18 Dec 2012, 3:03 pm

I can haz?
<<

dale00474

Game Master

Post 18 Dec 2012, 6:43 pm

Cost him about 1800 in parts. Normally you would pay about 3-4k retail. I would build something along these lines with software for around 2300 for a customer. (Dale runs his own computer biz) =D

Return to Community Area