Home     About     Command List     Rules     Forums     Donate     Maps     Contact Us

For the Survivalist in us all.

<<

darkrai202

Post 20 Mar 2012, 12:37 pm

Re: For the Survivalist in us all.

i think a jungle biome would suit this here :D that would make it tricky to navigate etc :P also, we could tame kitty's to scare of creepers :S

Login to remove these ads

<<

Ke6n

Post 20 Mar 2012, 3:56 pm

Another map would be the simplest idea. I didn't want to suggest it because I thought it might be too much to ask.
Yes, removing of the tag above all the players head would almost be necessary.

As for the inventories. My vote is to have separate inventories. The main world has become very rich, to the point where people are freely giving out diamonds, gold and everything else. That sort of wealth isn't really intended for this type of game play. Everyone would be using diamond equipment and living in obsidian houses.

Also, items wouldn't have any real value. Players wouldn't care if they died and lost the diamond pick because they have a dozen more in the main world.
This can be extended to administrators. If they lose all their precious gear they could simply return to the main world, restock from their infinite inventory and be right back where they were before falling off that cliff.

I'm glad this idea is receiving positive attention.
<<

dale00474

Game Master

Post 20 Mar 2012, 6:16 pm

I would personally want admin and mods to have zero abilities (outside of world guard to ensure the protected zone stays protected.) That also allows admin and mods to get on fair grounds with all other players to take part in the festivities. =D Roly and I were talking about this today and an aditional map to serve this purpose would be great. Also, one thought is possibly regenerating the map once a year to allow for new mining grounds, new landscape and so forth. A year is a long time and it could also allow us to possibly grant players prizes at the end of the year for various achievements with this. I'm sure we could have a way to rank players up on a single map. Hawkeye (our logging program) has the ability to distinguish worlds so I'm sure it can be done with rank. As for inventory we could also make it where its not separate but some items wouldn't be carried over. For instance, if you wanted to allow wood weapons carried over but all other blocked its a possibility.

I would like to create a small shack with weaponry, armor and a few tid-bits that would allow for a very small economy if anyone thinks it would be beneficial. Having a single shack in the middle of a jungle, along a swamp or something that would sell a very limited quantity of items could help early players get a small head-start. At the same time it would be adjusted in such a way that more skilled players would find it pointless and would be better off crafting their own items. Just an idea to throw out there. One nice thing is that it could also be a hot spot for killing players. So if the new guy wants a bit of a head start he takes the risk or he can take the risk of true survival.
-Dale :moderator:In-game admin/GM

Refuge: n. That which shelters or protects from danger or from distress or calamity; a stronghold which protects by its strength or a sanctuary which secures safety by its sacredness; a place inaccessible to an enemy.
<<

darkrai202

Post 20 Mar 2012, 7:42 pm

dale00474 wrote:I would personally want admin and mods to have zero abilities (outside of world guard to ensure the protected zone stays protected.) That also allows admin and mods to get on fair grounds with all other players to take part in the festivities. =D Roly and I were talking about this today and an aditional map to serve this purpose would be great. Also, one thought is possibly regenerating the map once a year to allow for new mining grounds, new landscape and so forth. A year is a long time and it could also allow us to possibly grant players prizes at the end of the year for various achievements with this. I'm sure we could have a way to rank players up on a single map. Hawkeye (our logging program) has the ability to distinguish worlds so I'm sure it can be done with rank. As for inventory we could also make it where its not separate but some items wouldn't be carried over. For instance, if you wanted to allow wood weapons carried over but all other blocked its a possibility.

I would like to create a small shack with weaponry, armor and a few tid-bits that would allow for a very small economy if anyone thinks it would be beneficial. Having a single shack in the middle of a jungle, along a swamp or something that would sell a very limited quantity of items could help early players get a small head-start. At the same time it would be adjusted in such a way that more skilled players would find it pointless and would be better off crafting their own items. Just an idea to throw out there. One nice thing is that it could also be a hot spot for killing players. So if the new guy wants a bit of a head start he takes the risk or he can take the risk of true survival.

This I like
<<

Ke6n

Post 20 Mar 2012, 8:58 pm

Haha you're already plotting against the new guys... I like it.
Admins should have no powers for their own good, They will enjoy it a lot more if playing it as intended.

I like the idea of the small shack, some newer players might find it handy. My guess is it will be protected?
<<

dale00474

Game Master

Post 21 Mar 2012, 1:31 am

The survival store has been created within the spawn village. Here is what I am thinking…

Buy = Buy from shop
Sell= Sell to shop

Food - BUY and SELL
wood - BUY (save time cutting trees and gathering wood in the open. No selling encourages tree growth)
iron - BUY and SELL
coal - BUY and SELL

Any other suggestion? NO DIAMONDS. Items must be achievable on the map (no glowstone) I'm going to look at enchanting and brewing things and see if their may be items we may actually need that come from Nether. If it is an overwhelming amount I may consider offering some of those items in the shop. We'll see. Although it should be noted anything that would be otherwise unobtainable would be outrageously expensive and of extremely limited quantity (as in possibly one of said items every 2 weeks or once a month.)

Also, the store will be stocked with items genuinely gathered in game without use of creative or item spawning. The only exception to this I've listed above but only if players who take part in the new world agree with this idea. Just a thought…and just throwing it out there.

FYI: I'm not going to touch you for leaving floating trees…but I swear I will beat you to death with a stick if I see it. Then I will poke your dead body with said stick. =D

Refuge: n. That which shelters or protects from danger or from distress or calamity; a stronghold which protects by its strength or a sanctuary which secures safety by its sacredness; a place inaccessible to an enemy.
<<

Supertomster123

Post 21 Mar 2012, 5:23 pm

I like the idea alot...

but I've seen a problem on other HARDCORE SURVIVAL PVP maps. That the maps get COMPLETELY GRIEFED. You see no dirt, the map looks all tnted, random lava blocks everywhere, no trees in site :(. But if roly or someone can deal with a problem with this, or its not a problem in your view, then I'm happy to go along with this.
If something strange, and you don't know why? Who you going to call? The Redstone Technician!
<<

darkrai202

Post 21 Mar 2012, 6:51 pm

Only one problem the safe zone...people are hiding in their like... children and...im not good at making examples, haha they kill players when their out but they hide like (as i said not good at examples) yeah you get the idea :S i'd say only put about a 4 block radius safe zone from the portal
<<

dale00474

Game Master

Post 21 Mar 2012, 7:59 pm

One idea we may have to try is a tall keep in the air with a ladder and safe zone/portal up top. Also, we can make tnt denied (not a bad idea) and we'd have to look at the lava issue when it comes around...their are a few things that could be done. Given the size of the map I don't think we'll run into too many other problems. Anyone want to try to build a midevil (spelling) keep? If its good enough I'll copy it over from the main world. If anyone wants to try I'll give them a week at most before I make one myself and put it in.

<<

Ke6n

Post 22 Mar 2012, 4:09 pm

My opinion on the concerns raised.

TNT and its effects.
TNT is a limited commodity in this map, it's not exactly common. I see no reason to ban its use as it is good fun to use and even has a use in mining.
Yes, it does leave craters but so do Creepers now. You should see the area surrounding my little house, it has more craters than the face of a pre-pubescent teenager.

People staying at the spawn.
Every online game will have camping in one form or another and it looks like we found the MineCraft version.
I am a strong believer that camping is a legitimate strategy :D
I suggest you grow some hair on your peaches, pick up a sword and beat the snot out of people camping in the spawn zone. If you go a few steps out they will have to follow you to continue their attack.

Placing of lava.
Lava is another love of mine, critical in some traps and other defences.
It can look messy if placed on top of a hill but if it bothers you so much you can always clean it up by placing dirt blocks.

The map is going to get abused. You'll see craters here and there and lava will be flowing in all the wrong spots, but that's just how survival maps work.
Things aren't supposed to look prim and proper like in the main world. I want chaos and I want it now.

If an area is not up to your living standard it is up to you to either move on or maintain your existing base. Plant trees to rejuvenate the forests and remove any messy lava if you don't like its appearance.

It is too early into the game to start calling for restrictions. Once we start laying on the rules the survival mode goes out the window and we will be back in the main world building our castles that will never see a siege.

Regards, Kev.
PreviousNext

Return to Suggestions